Firearms and Hunting Licenses Canada


Complimentary Services by Terra Nova Armoury:
Check the Status of Your Application for PAL Licence
Renew Your Hunting License Now
Report The Change of Your Address
Choose your vendor


To Quick F.A.Q.'s

1. Introduction to Firearms Licensing
2. Classes of Firearms as per Canadian Legislation
3. Crossbows – are these Firearms?
4. Amnesty
5. The Mandatory Examination
6. Mandatory Waiting Period
7. The “spousal notification” Rules
8. Legal Storage, Transportation and Display of Firearms
      8.1. Legal Storage of Firearms
      8.2. Legal Transportation of Firearms
      8.3. Legal Display of Firearms
9. ATT’s – “Authorization to Transport” Permits
10. ATC’s – “Authorizations to Carry” Permits and Self Defense Aspects
11. Magazine Capacity Limits
12. Import and Export of Firearms
      12.1. Firearms Import Procedures for Individuals
      12.2. Procedures for Exporting Firearms

Quick F.A.Q.'s

1. All I want is a Possession Only Licence (POL). Can I still get one?

No, not unless you already have one. As of January 1, 2001, any person applying for a Firearms Licence must apply for a Possession Acquisition Licence (PAL) unless they are renewing an existing Possession Only Licence (POL).

2. How long is this Firearms Licence good for?

A Firearms Licence is valid for a period of five years unless revoked, otherwise it can be called lifetime. Each Firearms License has an expiry date on it.

3. Do I have to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) test if I want to acquire only restricted firearms?

Yes. In order to obtain a PAL for restricted firearms, you must successfully complete both the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) test and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) test.

4. Do I have to redo both the written and practical portions of the CFSC or the CRFSC test if I fail either the written or practical test?

Yes. The tests consist of both the written and practical components. You must achieve 80% or better on both in order to successfully complete the CFSC / CRFSC test. If an individual fails either the written or practical test, they must complete both again.

5. Do I have to take the course if I am unsuccessful in passing the CFSC/CRFSC test?

No. An individual may take the CFSC/CRFSC tests as many times as they wish. Instructors may, however, decline to conduct the test if they feel doing so might result in a risk to public safety.

6. I've applied for a Firearms Licence and I received a letter from the Canadian Firearms Centre (C.F.C.) asking for proof that I completed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course test. I completed a test when I received my Ontario Hunting Licence. Is this the test they are talking about?

No. The Hunter Education test is a provincial test for a provincial hunting licence. You are required to show proof of completion of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course test in order to get the Federal Firearms Licence since it is a national test.

7. I have already sent in proof that I passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course Test when I applied for my Firearms Acquisition Certificate (F.A.C.) between 1994 and November 1998. Can they just credit me with having passed since I have an FAC ?

No. Unfortunately, there were several groups grand-fathered (not required to pass the test). It is not possible to determine from an FAC if a person can safely handle firearms. Everyone must prove they have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course test in order to get a Firearms License.

8. I am a visitor to Canada. Do I need a Firearms License?

Yes. Starting January 1, 2001, non-resident have needed a firearms licence to import (restricted and non-restricted firearms) or to borrow (non-restricted firearms only), and to acquire ammunition. For individuals who bring their own firearms into Canada, a confirmed Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form JUS 909 EF) will serve as a licence and registration.

Individuals who temporarily bring firearms to Canada must generally declare their firearms in writing, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form (form JUS 909 EF). Once a customs officer has confirmed the declaration and issued a confirmation number, the declaration form will serve as a licence and registration certificate, showing that the visitor is in legal possession of the firearm(s).

A confirmed declaration costs $50 Canadian and is valid for up to 60 days.

9. As a visitor to Canada, can I borrow a firearm for use in Canada?

Visitors, whether adults or minors, do not need a licence to borrow a firearm if they only use it under the direct and immediate supervision of an adult who can lawfully possess that firearm and has a Canadian Firearms Licence. Contact the CFO of the province where you wish to use the firearm to determine the exact stipulations for this option.

Otherwise, visitors aged 18 and older need either a Temporary Firearms Borrowing Licence (for Non-residents) (form JUS 715 EF) or a valid Canadian licence that allows them to acquire firearms (either a valid FAC or a PAL). A borrower's licence costs $30 Canadian. It can be renewed once within a 12-month period at no extra cost. Any additional renewals will cost $30. A sponsor may apply on behalf of a non-resident for the borrowers' licence.

10. I am a non-resident but want a PAL. How do I get a Firearms Possession and Acquisition License?

Non-residents can apply for a Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence. They must be 18 years of age or older; they must successfully complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course / Test; and they must provide a letter or document from their Local Police Service / Government which provides a completed NCIC check. Once they have the necessary documentation, they need only fill in an application, attach the documents, and send it to the Canadian Firearms Centre.

| Home | Our Mission | Firearms Licence | Hunting Licence | Trapping Licence | F.A.Q.'s | Useful Links | Games | Privacy | Terms | Contact Us |

Guns Don't Kill People - People Do!

© 2014. All Rights Reserved by Terra Nova