Firearms and Hunting Licenses Canada


Complimentary Services by Terra Nova Armoury:
Check the Status of Your Application for PAL Licence
Renew Your Hunting License Now
Report The Change of Your Address
Choose your vendor

Firearms Import Procedures for Individuals

When you arrive at the border, declare your firearm to the border services officer, provide any documents required (as listed below), and answer all questions truthfully. The border services officer must be satisfied that you have a valid reason for importing the firearm, and may check to ensure that you have stored your firearm properly for transportation. The border services officer will also review your documents and may verify that the firearm you have matches the one described on the documents.

If you have declared a firearm but cannot meet the import requirements, or you do not have the proper documents, the border services officer may allow you to export the firearm from Canada. At his or her discretion, the border services officer may detain the firearm, issue you a receipt and allow you a reasonable amount of time to present the correct documents to the CBSA.
If you have not been truthful, or if the officer believes that you should not bring the firearm into Canada, we can detain it. If you did not declare the firearm, we will seize it, and you may face criminal charges.

If you need information about importing a specific firearm or weapon, contact the Border Information Service (BIS) at one of the telephone numbers listed in Appendix B.

Import regulations

Different regulations apply if you are importing firearms as a visitor or Canadian resident. However, anyone importing a firearm to Canada must be at least 18 years of age.

Note: Persons under 18 years of age cannot import firearms, but may be eligible for a Minor's Possession Licence.

Visitors to Canada

If you are a visitor to Canada, and do not have a Canadian firearms licence and registration certificate, you are required to declare your firearms in writing.
Visitors must declare all their firearms in writing. This can be done by filling out Form CAFC 909 Non-Resident Firearm Declaration and paying a CAN$25 fee. Once confirmed by a border services officer, it has the same effect as a temporary licence and registration and is valid for up to 60 days.
If you are importing restricted firearms, you need an authorization to transport (ATT). You can get an application for an ATT by calling the Canada Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000. Normally, if you are a visitor declaring your restricted firearms in writing, you should plan to come to the CBSA office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. in order to apply for an ATT, as you will need a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration confirmation number to apply. If you are unable to come to the office during these hours, please make arrangements in advance by calling the Chief Firearms Officer of the province you will be visiting, as listed in Appendix A.

For more information on declarations by visitors, please call the Canada Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000, or visit their Web site at

Visitors who hold a valid Canadian firearms licence and registration certificates for their firearms must show them to a border services officer.

Visitors who hold a valid Canadian firearms licence but do not have registration certificates for their firearms must also complete Form CAFC 909, Non- Resident Firearm Declaration and pay a CAN$25 fee. Once confirmed by a border services officer, the declaration has the same effect as a temporary registration certificate for the firearms for up to 60 days.

Visitors cannot, under any circumstances, import prohibited firearms.
Visitors who want to leave firearms in Canada must pay duties and taxes and have the firearm registered in Canada. If the firearm is sold or otherwise transferred to a Canadian resident, the parties must meet all the legal requirements associated with transferring firearms.

Canadian residents

Canadian residents cannot, under any circumstances, import prohibited firearms newly acquired outside Canada.

If you are importing grandfathered prohibited firearms that you previously temporarily exported from Canada, you have to provide the CBSA with:
� your valid possession-only licence or possession and acquisition licence with appropriate privileges;
� the valid registration certificate for the firearm;
� an import permit issued by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (FAITC); and
� a valid ATT issued by the Chief Firearms Officer of the province of residence.

If you are importing firearms that were previously exported from Canada, it is a good idea to carry proof that you purchased the firearm in Canada, or that duty was paid when you imported it. You can ask CBSA staff to document your firearm on Form Y-38, Identification of Articles for Temporary Exportation, before you leave the country or provide a copy of the export permit under which the firearm was exported.


You may import authorized sporting and competitive ammunition and reloading components for your personal use.
Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:
� small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
� primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
� empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
� propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4 kilograms and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).

Consult with the Explosives Regulatory Division at NRCan to determine if the ammunition you wish to import is authorized and approved for importation and use in Canada. Note that tracer, armour-piercing and similar military cartridges are prohibited under Canadian law.

Within these limits, non-residents can import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.
You can make arrangements to import larger quantities through a Canadian shooting association, committee or federation for team practice and competition at meets. For information on permits to import quantities of ammunition in excess of those mentioned above or for the purposes of sale, contact:

Explosives Regulatory Division
Natural Resources Canada
1431 Merivale Road
Ottawa ON K2E 1B9
Telephone: 613-948-5200
Fax: 613-948-5195
Web site:

| Home | Our Mission | Firearms Licence | Hunting Licence | Trapping Licence | F.A.Q.'s | Useful Links | Games | Privacy | Terms | Contact Us |

Guns Don't Kill People - People Do!

© 2014. All Rights Reserved by Terra Nova